Painting started

We have been applying matt paint to the first floor for a week or so but still have to finish having been slowed a little by the need for the plasterers to finish the skim coat around the stair well. On an optimistic note the plasterers (Dave and Rob) expect to have finished in a couple of days. This will probably be too late for us to paint around the light switches and power sockets (the plaster needs to dry) - I suppose we will have now have to mask them up - an extra job.

plastering gable

We decided to build the IKEA wardrobe frames over last weekend and they went up relatively quickly (just pay close attention to the instructions). We have also installed the mirror sliding doors on the wardrobe in the guest bedroom. Adding around 2 square metres of mirror door greatly enhances the light levels and enables the garden to be seen when in bed.

Rob and Matt, the electricians, are scheduled to return in a few days for the second fix - hopefully we have everything apart from one light fitting. This was ordered last November and now as an expected date of June! Unfortunately it is the one in the most inaccessible place to fix. It will be great to have some power sockets in action.

The excavation required for the external insulation covering the basement sides and below ground around the rear of the house didn't take as long as we thought but did require more skips!


Pegasus have returned and they plan to complete this task this week (weather permitting). The render below ground is EPS (closed cell) rather than the graphite XPS used 'above ground'. The EPS is also covered with bitumen rather than the coloured render.

The gable is now complete apart from the final colour render coat. It already looks very smart from the Nature Reserve.